Thursday, May 7, 2009

First Game of Force on Force

Last night some members of our club played our first game of Force on Force. I supplied the two forces, my 1940 French and German Armies. At the last minute I opted out of fielding the vehicles, guns and weapons teams. I decided it would keep things simple.

We played the Meeting Egagement from the Force on Force Primer. The Germans were Red Force and the French were Blue Force.

Unfortunately for the French players Duane, the German commander, has much more wargaming experience and apparently is a refugee from the law of averages (he rolled an amazing amount of 8s during the game). The French spread out to cover their whole table edge, the Germans formed a large assault column and ran down one edge and overran the French. Much of this was due to the fact that the French sent their squads piecemeal into the corner of a field and were eliminated one at a time. The Germans successfully took up positions in several wooded areas and a barn and were able combine fire from 5 units on one or two French units at a time.

By turn 3 the French (who couldn't win a roll) capitulated. Overall the game was interesting. Once I had a chance to re-read the rules I realized that I made several mistakes (Sub Machine Guns only using D6 outside of Optimum range would have made a big difference).

I am going to try again on Saturday with a some other guys from the club with Late War British Infantry vs. Germans. I am also going to have a go at the vehicle rules.

German positions in the woods.


Germans rush into a barn and the French fail to pass their interrupt roll....again.

Germans assault through open ground.

This position will cost the French 3 units before they abandon it.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice pictures. I'm always happy to see the early war get a run-out

    ReplyDelete